Do you want to learn how to look more stylish in your clothes? Here’s ‘how to style clothes and look stylish in them like the most stylish people you see in magazines.
Are you ready to take charge of your style this year?
Anyone remotely interested in fashion and striving to dress in a fun and effortless way knows it takes work.
And although looking stylish may come naturally to a lucky few, it usually takes a few helpful tricks and tips to pull outfits seamlessly together.
We all know stylish people look uniquely themselves and create looks that look put together because they follow a few basic rules.
So if you are wondering how they all pull it off, full disclosure, it’s much easier than you think!
Here’s how to style your clothes effortlessly. Soon you’ll know the basic fashion rules that all highly stylish people secretly follow!
- 20 Ways to Make Your Wardrobe Stand Out
- 33 Journal Prompts For Self-Discovery
- How to Start a New Life with a Negative Past
12 Smart Tips on how to style clothes
1. How to look stylish: Stylish people take good care of their shoes.
It seems as though most stylish people never even seem to try hard at all. They know how to style clothes properly. And isn’t that why these people are highly stylish for a reason?
They understand fashion, which also requires taking their footwear into account. They always seem to do their best to keep their best footwear in mint condition, even for their discounted shoes.
They also know that clean shoes will always elevate any look they are going for, thus keeping them stylish.
For tips to help you keep your shoes in tip-top shape, try this:
- Get rid of dirt, mud, or gunk with a shoebrush or old toothbrush.
- Using a sponge, cloth, or brush, apply a small amount of sneaker cleaner (or gentle laundry detergent mixed with warm water) to the dirty parts.
- With tough stains, keep repeating until they’re gone.
- Keep the soles clean using a baking soda paste.
- Mix a solution that’s one part white vinegar and two parts water. Using a cloth, dab the solution onto the stain.
- Pretreat any stains with a stain remover.
- Air-dry the shoes.
- You can also put your shoes in a washing machine on a gentle cycle.
- Always keep your best footwear in a shoe rack to stay in its natural form.
2. How to style clothes: Stylish people always have something that distinguishes them.
Insanely stylish women always have something that distinguishes them — and it doesn’t always have to be drastic.
It can be as straightforward as always ensuring their eyebrows are nicely shaped, wearing bright and unique colored lipstick with patterned clothes, or just having their nails freshly manicured to match their shoes.
So whether you have multiple bomber jackets that breathe effortless style for any occasion, that go-to pair of jeans that you know “scream you,” or your favorite pair of shoes that always makes you feel confident… Whatever statement you are trying to make, make sure it’s yours and always delivered.
3. Stylish women aren’t afraid of color.
Even if you don’t like wearing many bright colors, adding a touch of color to your outfit can make it more attractive and desirable. Stylish women know this because they know added color is eye-grabbing and covet-worthy.
4. How to look stylish: They know the importance of sizing up rather than down.
Many women are stuck on wearing a certain size, but sizing up can often change a garment’s appearance.
And although it’s easy to get stuck on sizing simply because it’s what we go by (especially when it comes to purchasing things in a rush), most fashion experts always suggest purchasing your garments just one size bigger.
That way, you have room to tailor (if needed), giving the illusion that you are smaller than you are.
5. How to look stylish: Be prepared for events before they happen.
Highly stylish women always pre-plan for any occasion.
Whether it be full-on outfits set out months before, having a pair of shoes that match all of their outfits (so they have many options), getting that trim, so their hair is ready, or having the right accessories to change up the same outfit on the same day.
Planning for an event long before it happens will help you maintain an effortless style if you want to stand out and be a show-stopper.
For tips to help you prepare for an event, try this:
- Get ready to look your best—one month in advance.
- Pick your outfit. The invitation to the event is a good way to decide the formality of your special occasion.
- One to two weeks in advance — see your hairstylist, get a trim, and check the fit of your outfit. And cutting carbohydrates is the fastest way to look slimmer if you think it’s a must.
- Forty-eight hours in advance — exfoliate your body from head to toe and deep condition your hair.
- The day before the event — head out and grab any last-minute makeup essentials, drink loads of water, don’t drink any alcohol, and make sure you get a great night’s rest.
- Day of the event — put on some music and make tea. Music will help keep you energized and enjoy the process.
- Get ready! Shine like a star—you’re well prepared, ready, and looking your best!
6. How to look stylish: Stylish people are always prepared for the weather.
All fashionistas know that a worn-out pair of rain boots fool no one. Moreover, that highly stylish woman will always embrace functional and stylish accessories whether the weather permits it.
It’s almost as though stylish women have a sixth sense regarding their weather clothing choices. But don’t be fooled; they look at the weather for the day and dress accordingly for it.
Dressing for the weather will keep you comfortable no matter what season it is. It will also allow you to keep up with the latest trends in your wardrobe.
7. how to style clothes: Keep backups for whenever the unpredictable might happen.
Every stylish person knows to be prepared for the worst in their attire. They will always be prepared for anything that may happen and have a backup outfit as a ‘just in case emergency go-to.
You never know if your heel will break or a button may fall off, but stylish people? They are always prepared to look great. For great ways to save your clothes, check out these 15 clothing hacks every girl should know here!
8. How to style clothes: Stylish women do their research.
Your style will naturally come to you through time and maturity, but if you would like a unique style (as most stylish women have), that almost always requires analysis, motivation, discussion, and refinement to perfect it.
Stylish people know that investing time online by looking at the style they would like to emulate, exploring shops, and talking about it, will help keep them up-to-date with trends, be knowledgeable on what to purchase when the time comes, and be seriously stylish as a result.
9. Stylish people are not afraid to shop where most are reluctant.
Stylish people are not afraid of any store and can find anything virtually anywhere.
They have a radar sense about them when searching and hunting for their next fashion find. That means no store is off limits, and they have zero snob factor wherever they find their next stylish item.
You may also like 50 Self-Care Tips for the Mind, Body & Soul.
10. How to look stylish: Invest in comfy clothing that is still stylish.
Do you dress day in and day out flawlessly and look put together, even on lazy days?
If not, it’s still pretty simple if you do what all stylish people do. Most stylish women don’t own a worn-out pair of sweatpants, and there’s a reason for that!
When buying comfy sweats and hoodies, stylish people either make sure that all their lazy wear can be dressed up to look stylish or they don’t have it all.
They know that if they don’t own a warn-out comfy pair of sweats when push comes to shove, they won’t wear them.
11. How to look stylish: Stylish people’s closets always improve with time.
Stylish people all follow this rule like it’s true to their religion. They always buy their stylish goods so that they will get better with AGE.
That means looking at the quality of well-threaded materials, having a keen eye for craftsmanship when buying anything new, and investing in stylish pieces that will never go out of style so they can be worn for many years.
In addition, this fashion rule also saves them a lot of cash. After all, it’s less wasteful than buying items made not to last, which are easy to toss because they only cost a few dollars.
12. How to style clothes: Stylish people are realistic when making a final decision.
Everyone is used to seeing themselves in the mirror, which is why stylish people do this differently!
When stylish women try to make stylish choices and want them to be as realistic as possible (especially when it comes to putting an outfit together), they make the final call and put their phones to use.
Snapping a picture of their final look to see how others will see it ensures that they know exactly how they will look when they step out of the car on that exciting date or special event.
Bonus. Stylish people can make almost any outfit idea work.
Insanely stylish people are stylish for a reason. They make things work for them instead of the other way around.
Whether it be a comfy sweater pulled off the shoulder to show off some skin, a simple sharpie to cover up some shoe scuffs, or stuffing the toes of their shoes with tissues to make them fit.
When it comes to seriously stylish people, anything goes in the name of fashion.
There you have it; all the world’s most stylish women create their unique style by being extremely creative and always staying prepared.
But know that style can also be learned. You can be just as confident and stylish with small feminine tattoos or by wearing your favorite doc marten dupes because these are simple ways to communicate with others.
I hope you enjoyed this article, now go out and make the most of your outfit today!
Check out, How to Make a Thrifty Wardrobe Look Expensive next!
Everything Abode’s mission is to instill an appreciation for everything you do at home! Whether it’s through lifestyle tips, home decor ideas, home organizing, to trending fashion ideas for your home closet, your home should represent the best home & YOU possible. Thanks for visiting!
Subscribe to Get the Tools That Make My Blog Successful!
When you join my newsletter, I'm going to send you insider advice and tools that I use to grow my blog! I only save the BEST for my email list so don't wait!